Monday, April 16, 2007

Where I belong...

I think that Saturday's events have changed me forever. I am a new puppy, everydoggy.

Somehow, after braving the noise that is the NYC subway, I made it to the Upper West Side with mommy for the pug meetup! Waiting for the train was the worst part and I cried a bunch, which caused people to realize that I was indeed a dog, inside a giant pink and gold purse. Once I got on the train, I got very comfortable, rested my head on mommy's arm and alternated between sleep and admiring myself in the reflective silver walls. If only that loud conductor wouldn't come on every two minutes and announce something unintelligable and wake me up! So rude!

When we got there, I walked like a good girl into the park and into the dog run area. This park had a small dog run and a large dog run. The pugs were in the small dog one and as soon as I entered, mommy undid my leash and everydoggy went wild over me! All of the boy pugs did A LOT of sniffing, but I held my own and didn't let them overwhelm me. Then, I ran around and around in fast circles as all of the other dogs chased me! It was so much fun. I loved to be chased! If they ever caught me, I did flips around them and one time I did a double barrel roll on my tummy and got right up afterwards to continue playing! I'm tougher than I look, okay? I loved seeing all of the pugs and licked a lot of smooshed faces. One dog in particular was very nice to me. Her name was Daisy and she was a much older, big girl pug. She would stand on the bench and I would put my paws up with her and she would lean down and we would lick each other! Daisy's mom got some pictures, but we only ever did it for split second intervals so it was nearly impossible to catch on film. Heh. (Mom's note: there would be more pictures, but since I was new to the meetup, I was a little intimidated and not so comfortable whipping out the camera and snapping a million pictures. Plus, Olive was hardly ever still and the camera doesn't do "action" so well...oh well...you can see her "resting" in the shade above.) Daisy and I loved to give each other kisses. I think I was reminded a little bit of my old dog-mommy. After Daisy left, most of the other dogs were gone by then anyway since the train took so long to come and we were late, so we walked the three big blocks over to The New York Dog Shop, which was having a grand opening celebration and SALE!

The walk was so nice. The Upper West Side is where I belong! There is no garbage like in my neighborhood and therefore I walk like such a good girl...Mommy couldn't believe it! They have little elevated boxes around all of the trees so I knew that when I stepped up there, that was where I was supposed to do my business. I peed outside THREE times!!! That is more than I ever have before!

At the shop, I got treats and was passed around to different arms, which I didn't mind at all. I was nice to all of the other doggies, though they would get jealous when their owners wanted to admire me! I eventually fell asleep in someone's arms while Mommy shopped (& drank Cristal!) and when I woke up, it was time to go home! I slept the whole way home on the train as well. I was so quiet that some tourists didn't even know I was in my carrier (which is quite silly, since I had my head out the side) until I started SNORING!

I had a lovely time and now feel more comfortable peeing outside. Generally, after this excursion, I am better on my leash. I guess it just takes practice on my part and patience on mom's.

At the sale, I got some very nice things. A pink polo shirt, a bigger Puppia harness for when I grow out of this one (they were such a deal Mommy couldn't believe it!), this dress, my same black Puppia puffy vest in the next size up, and last but not least, a pink pearl necklace! I think Mommy loved shopping for me with all of the sales. She even stayed (mostly) within her budget! Go Mom!

2 comments:

L said...

I'm with you on the shopping thing! I am a sucker for going into pet stores and walking out with a LOT of dog stuff. It's all good.

Briar said...

I think that picture of her resting is my favorite in quite a while. Good heavens. I am glad she did so well with the other dogs. Now let's just hope her cousin dogs are not mean to her! I think I will have to be out of the house when they are first introduced, as my anxiety about it is not going to help anything!